Augmented Reality (AR) describes a technology that blends digital content into our real world. By tracking a video camera the virtual data can be superimposed on a physical prototype like it has been realised in our Window to the World project.
The “Window to the World” application by metaio and ART combines the physical and the virtual world in a very precise way. The system consists of a movable Augmented Reality screen between the user and the object to be analyzed.
Variants can be shown or virtual parts not yet produced can be added to the physical prototype. The visualization is even more realistic if the CAD model is enhanced using lighting effects and reflections. To have a very high and robust tracking, the system is based on the Infrared Tracking System of ART, within flexible and high-volume working spaces.
A precisely calibrated camera is placed behind a monitor, in such a way that the user literally looks through the monitor into the real world.
- Photo-realism due to high-quality rendering
- Full-size analyses based on correct proportions
- Early detection of construction and design errors
- Reduction in the amount of prototypes created
- Simple communication between all stakeholders
- Evaluating design options
- Surveying look-and-feel
- Superimpose simulation data
- Analysing fabrication quality
- Determining deviations