Aerospace Logistics Company, Italy
New VR Lab at ALTEC using ART tracking systems
ALTEC strongly believes that VR is the right means to improve data analysis and the exploitation of space-based observations data providing new methods and systems for enabling a better collaborative environment.
ALTEC has recently built a Virtual Reality Laboratory (VR-Lab) in order to support its ongoing activities (programs and research projects), but also to enable new collaborations, projects, researches and a better dissemination of scientific data and results.
ALTEC, Aerospace Logistics Technology Engineering Company, is the Italian center of excellence for the provision of engineering and logistics services to support the operations and utilization of the International Space Station and the development and implementation of planetary exploration missions.
The public-private company owned by Thales Alenia Space and the Italian Space Agency is participating to several projects (FP7/H2020, regional) and is also collaborating with companies, scientists and universities to enable new driving technologies and applications.
ALTEC VR-Lab foresees two different set-ups:
VR Room - 3D scenes and simulations are displayed to the audience projecting the images elaborated by a Clusters of PC on a PowerWall by means of a stereoscopic projector using active stereoscopy. It is also possible to interact with the scenes using tracking system and interaction devices.
Mobile configuration: it is a simplified version of the VR-Room. It is composed by a 4K 3D-TV, a Workstation and a mobile tracking system. Such a configuration allows moving the 3D environment wherever it is needed (Control Rooms, meeting rooms, expositions, etc.)
In order to allow the interaction with the 3D scenes and simulations, the user has to be in control and that means navigate the scene or reproducing some kind of movements or gesture. Tracking capabilities are thus mandatory to recreate an effective Immersive Virtual Environment. ART has been chosen because of the reliability and quality of their products and for the good collaboration with the Sales and Technical teams.
- ART Tracking system: the ARTTRACK5 for the VR Room and the SMARTTRACK for the mobile configuration
- Visualisation: Barco RLM-W14 3D projector, Volfoni 3D glasses, Power Wall Stewart Aeroview 70
- Audio and room automation: Denon receiver and speakers
- DELL Precision Tower 7810 with NVIDIA Quadro Graphics card
- Lightware DVI-D Matrix
- 3D-TV 4K Sony + PQ lab multi touch panel
- Software: ALTEC is testing and experiencing several solutions for developing its applications (i.e. Unity). Besides, ALTEC VR-Lab is in partnership with Thales Alenia Space Italy (TAS-I) COSE Centre, collaborating on several projects and sharing the utilization and development of TAS-I VR Framework called VERITAS.